This is most popular of all the routes that lead up to the Mountain. It is the steepest and the fastest way up Mt Kenya and ascends the mountain from the west. The route is not particularly scenic but has some of the best tourist accommodations. Most climbers begin at the park gate, although it is possible to drive a vehicle as far as the Met station (3050 metres). Among the challenges in this route include the vertical bog and the extremely steep trail on looses gravel while going up.
This volcanic mountain stretches along the equator and rises up to 5,199m. It is the ideal route for the hiker to see some of the highest peaks of Mount Kenya, the Batian and the Nelion. This climb takes the hiker through bamboo forests, alpine moors and mountain rainforests. Our goal is to reach peak Lenana, 4985m high.
Day 1 –Transfer from our hotel in Nairobi to the gateway of Naro Moru.
We will travel through Kikuyu land, rich farm land, where pineapple plantations stand together with coffee ones. Arrival at the foot of Mount Kenya, which is the gateway to Naro Moru Park, where a picnic will be served. We will walk as far as Met Station (3050m) where we will spend the night (a 3-4 hour climb).
Day 2 –After breakfast, we will make our way to Mackinder’s camp (4,100m).
It is approximately a 4-6 hour climb through Teleki valley, enjoying breathtaking views of the most important peaks in the area. Dinner and night at the camp.
Day 3 –mackinders camp-Point lenana-Met station-Nairobi
We will try to reach Lenana peak before dawn so as to see the sun rising under the torchlight. Then we will go down to the camp for breakfast. Finally we will descend to the park’s gate to take the car for the transfer to Nairobi or to continue with our safari.
Hikers have the option of a night extension at the Met Station (Naro Moru route – 4 days).
Included in the price:
• Guarantee price/guarantee trek on confirmation
• Transfer to and from the base of the mountain
• Full board accommodation whilst on the trek. Meal plan as detailed: B=Breakfast, L=Lunch and D=Dinner
• Accommodations in camps/huts as per the itinerary
• All park entrance fees to include government taxes
• Service of an English-speaking professional guide, porters and skilled cook
• Start and finish Nairobi
• Treated water on the trek and evacuation insurance
• Laundry, sleeping bags, beverages/Drinks, accommodation before the trek and climbing gears
• International flights
• Visas to Kenya
• Items of personal nature
• Any other extras not detailed in the above itinerary